Synonyms for stress
- 1. stress, emphasis, accent, prosody, inflection
- usage: the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch); "he put the stress on the wrong syllable"
- 2. tension, tenseness, stress, strain, mental strain, nervous strain, vasoconstrictor, vasoconstrictive
- usage: (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense; "he suffered from fatigue and emotional tension"; "stress is a vasoconstrictor"
- 3. stress, force
- usage: (physics) force that produces strain on a physical body; "the intensity of stress is expressed in units of force divided by units of area"
- 4. stress, focus, emphasis, accent
- usage: special emphasis attached to something; "the stress was more on accuracy than on speed"
- 5. stress, strain, difficulty
- usage: difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension; "she endured the stresses and strains of life"; "he presided over the economy during the period of the greatest stress and danger"- R.J.Samuelson
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. stress, emphasize, emphasise, punctuate, accent, accentuate, express, show, evince
- usage: to stress, single out as important; "Dr. Jones emphasizes exercise in addition to a change in diet"
- 2. stress, accent, accentuate, pronounce, articulate, enounce, sound out, enunciate, say
- usage: put stress on; utter with an accent; "In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word"
- 3. try, strain, stress, afflict
- usage: test the limits of; "You are trying my patience!"