Synonyms for redundant
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. excess, extra, redundant, spare, supererogatory, superfluous, supernumerary, surplus, unnecessary (vs. necessary), unneeded
- usage: more than is needed, desired, or required; "trying to lose excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room"; "supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary) words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the needy"
- 2. redundant, wordy, prolix (vs. concise)
- usage: use of more words than required to express an idea; "a wordy gossipy account of a simple incident"; "a redundant text crammed with amplifications of the obvious"
- 3. pleonastic, redundant, tautologic, tautological, prolix (vs. concise)
- usage: repetition of same sense in different words; "`a true fact' and `a free gift' are pleonastic expressions"; "the phrase `a beginner who has just started' is tautological"; "at the risk of being redundant I return to my original proposition"- J.B.Conant