Synonyms for polite
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. polite (vs. impolite), courteous, gracious, nice, mannerly, well-mannered
- usage: showing regard for others in manners, speech, behavior, etc.
- 2. civilized, civilised, cultivated, cultured, genteel, polite, refined (vs. unrefined)
- usage: marked by refinement in taste and manners; "cultivated speech"; "cultured Bostonians"; "cultured tastes"; "a genteel old lady"; "polite society"
- 3. civil (vs. uncivil), polite
- usage: not rude; marked by satisfactory (or especially minimal) adherence to social usages and sufficient but not noteworthy consideration for others; "even if he didn't like them he should have been civil"- W.S. Maugham