Synonyms for philistine
- 1. philistine, anti-intellectual, lowbrow, plebeian, pleb
- usage: a person who is uninterested in intellectual pursuits
- 2. Philistine, inhabitant, habitant, dweller, denizen, indweller
- usage: a member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around the 12th century BC
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. Philistine
- usage: of or relating to ancient Philistia or its culture or its people
- 2. anti-intellectual, philistine, nonintellectual (vs. intellectual)
- usage: smug and ignorant and indifferent or hostile to artistic and cultural values