Synonyms for overture
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. overture, music
- usage: orchestral music played at the beginning of an opera or oratorio
- 2. preliminary, overture, prelude, origin, origination, inception
- usage: something that serves as a preceding event or introduces what follows; "training is a necessary preliminary to employment"; "drinks were the overture to dinner"
- 3. overture, advance, approach, feeler, suggestion, proposition, proffer
- usage: a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others; "she rejected his advances"