Synonyms for nation
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. state, nation, country, land, commonwealth, res publica, body politic, political unit, political entity
- usage: a politically organized body of people under a single government; "the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation's capitol"; "the country's largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
- 2. nation, land, country, people
- usage: the people who live in a nation or country; "a statement that sums up the nation's mood"; "the news was announced to the nation"; "the whole country worshipped him"
- 3. Nation, Carry Nation, Carry Amelia Moore Nation
- usage: United States prohibitionist who raided saloons and destroyed bottles of liquor with a hatchet (1846-1911)
- 4. nation, confederation, confederacy, federation
- usage: a federation of tribes (especially Native American tribes); "the Shawnee nation"