Synonyms for flood
- 1. flood, inundation, deluge, alluvion, geological phenomenon
- usage: the rising of a body of water and its overflowing onto normally dry land; "plains fertilized by annual inundations"
- 2. flood, floodlight, flood lamp, photoflood, light, light source
- usage: light that is a source of artificial illumination having a broad beam; used in photography
- 3. flood, overflow, outpouring, flow, stream
- usage: a large flow
- 4. flood, flowage, filling
- usage: the act of flooding; filling to overflowing
- 5. flood tide, flood, rising tide, tide
- usage: the occurrence of incoming water (between a low tide and the following high tide); "a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune" -Shakespeare
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
All rights reserved.
- 1. deluge, flood, inundate, swamp, fill, fill up, make full
- usage: fill quickly beyond capacity; as with a liquid; "the basement was inundated after the storm"; "The images flooded his mind"
- 2. flood, cover, spread over
- usage: cover with liquid, usually water; "The swollen river flooded the village"; "The broken vein had flooded blood in her eyes"
- 3. flood, oversupply, glut, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: supply with an excess of; "flood the market with tennis shoes"; "Glut the country with cheap imports from the Orient"
- 4. flood, fill, fill up
- usage: become filled to overflowing; "Our basement flooded during the heavy rains"