Synonyms for candid
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. blunt, candid, forthright, frank, free-spoken, outspoken, plainspoken, point-blank, straight-from-the-shoulder, direct (vs. indirect)
- usage: characterized by directness in manner or speech; without subtlety or evasion; "blunt talking and straight shooting"; "a blunt New England farmer"; "I gave them my candid opinion"; "forthright criticism"; "a forthright approach to the problem"; "tell me what you think--and you may just as well be frank"; "it is possible to be outspoken without being rude"; "plainspoken and to the point"; "a point-blank accusation"
- 2. candid, unstudied (vs. studied), uncontrived
- usage: informal or natural; especially caught off guard or unprepared; "a candid photograph"; "a candid interview"
- 3. candid, open, heart-to-heart, ingenuous (vs. disingenuous), artless
- usage: openly straightforward and direct without reserve or secretiveness; "his candid eyes"; "an open and trusting nature"; "a heart-to-heart talk"
- 4. candid, unflattering (vs. flattering)
- usage: starkly realistic; "I have never lacked candid critics in my own ranks"-Clement Atlee