Synonyms for ascetic
- 1. abstainer, ascetic, religionist, religious person
- usage: practices self denial as spiritual discipline
WordNet 2.0 Copyright © 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- 1. ascetic, ascetical
- usage: pertaining to or characteristic of an ascetic or the practice of rigorous self-discipline; "ascetic practices"
- 2. ascetic, ascetical, austere, spartan, abstemious (vs. gluttonous)
- usage: practicing great self-denial; "Be systematically ascetic...do...something for no other reason than that you would rather not do it"- William James; "a desert nomad's austere life"; "a spartan diet"; "a spartan existence"